It is every day that we come to here of someone dying of cancer. Apart from any other disease cancer has to be the most common one.
Concerning females, breast cancer is the most common invasive cancer in women and the second leading cause of cancer death in women after lung cancer. According to statistics, in the United States, about 1,620 people were expected to die of cancer each day in 2015 — this equates to nearly 590,000 people.
Cancer is a group of diseases involving abnormal cell growth with the potential to spread or invade other parts of the body.
Several organs get affected by this disease and the most common ones are skin, lungs, and breast. Breast cancer most commonly affects females but males can also be diagnosed with this disease. Breast cancer is a type of cancer that forms in the cells of the breasts.
Breast cancer can be benign or malignant. Malignant or non-cancerous breast tumors are abnormal growths, but they do not spread outside of the breast and hence are not fatal.
However, benign breast tumors can be somewhat dangerous. It usually forms a tumor that can be seen on an x-ray or can be felt as a lump. Any breast lump or change needs to be checked by a health care professional to determine if it is benign or malignant and if it might affect your future cancer risk.
In this modern age, it is vital to have complete knowledge regarding diseases that are fatal to your health. Everyone should aware of themselves regarding the symptoms and precautions of this disease so if they are diagnosed, they can be treated at an initial level. Most common symptoms include:
- Breast pain
- Red, pitted skin over your entire breast
- A lump or swelling under your arm
- Peeling, flaking or scaling of the skin on the breast.
Apart from the above-mentioned symptoms, there are several others but these few are the most common ones. If you find yourself in contact with any one of these symptoms it is better and safe to contact your doctor.
Several causes may lead to these symptoms, like
- Many hormonal, lifestyle and environmental changes may lead to breast cancer.
- Our environment is not as clean and pure as it used to be. Any poisonous fragment present in the air may trigger our health and maybe the reason for breast cancer.
- Breast cancer can also be caused by a complex interaction of the individual’s genetic makeup and the environment.
- For the majority of the breast cancer patients, genes of this disease run in the generation. If it is in an individual’s bloodline than it may be possible that he/she may get diagnosed with breast cancer.
Many risk factors may also enhance your chances of getting breast cancer and some of these are mentioned below:
- Being Female
- Increasing age
- A family history of breast cancer
- Radiation exposure
No matter how common these risk factors or causes are but there is still so much that you can do that will keep you healthy and out of the doctor’s office. Some of the precautions that you may practice are:
- Maintaining a healthy weight.
- Choosing a healthy diet.
- Asking your doctor about breast cancer screening.
Choosing to live healthily and avoiding anything harmful can be your first step towards a wholesome life. Breast cancer may be the most common disease and millions get affected by it but there is always a chance of fighting it. Otherwise, people who ignore their health end up getting diagnosed with this fatal disease and leave no room for any kind of treatment.